This intervention comes from The Learning Toolbox and is used to help students calculate answers to problems with whole numbers or fractions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
Discover the sign.
Scan the problem and find the operation sign
- Circle, and say the name of the computation sign
- Say what the sign means
Read the problem.
- Read the whole problem
- Say the problem aloud as you read
Answer, or draw tallies and/or circles and check your answer (see draw examples for each operation in link below)
- Answer the problem if you know how to solve it
- If you don’t know how to solve the problem then draw pictures to solve it–Click for examples
Write the answer.
- Write down the answer to the problem